Skip to main content

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Card/Account Holders and Approving Officials Travel Training

Lesson 11: Administration

How do I report a lost/stolen card?

Report a lost or stolen travel card promptly to:

  • The contractor bank.
  • Your A/OPC.
  • Your supervisor.

Once a card has been reported as lost or stolen, the contractor bank immediately blocks that account from further usage and a new account number will be issued to the card/account holder.

Reporting the card as stolen does not relieve the card/card/account holder or the government of payment for any transactions that were made by the card/account holder prior to reporting it stolen. If you do not recognize a transaction appearing on your statement, you are responsible for notifying the contractor bank within 90 calendar days from the transaction date to initiate a dispute, unless otherwise specified by the agency/organization. This notification of transaction dispute may occur via the EAS, by telephone or other electronic means like email.

Please note that you relinquish your right to recover a disputed amount after 90 calendar days from the date that the transaction was processed. It is your responsibility to dispute questionable charges. If you don’t, you will be held personally liable for the amount of the questionable charge.

How do I renew my account?

Your GSA SmartPay® travel card/account is issued for a defined period of time and will expire.

  • You do not need to initiate any action to get your account renewed.
  • You will receive your new account before your current card/account expires.
  • If you do not receive your new account, contact your A/OPC.
  • If you possess a physical GSA SmartPay charge card, destroy the expired card; it does not need to be returned.

What happens if my name changes or my address changes?

Changes in information occur from time to time. Please be sure to contact the bank immediately with your new information by one of the following means:

  • Calling the toll-free contractor bank number listed on the back of your card.
  • Using the bank’s EAS.
  • Asking your A/OPC to submit the change electronically.

Please also make sure to notify your local post office of your address change so that your mail will be forwarded.

When would my travel card/account be closed?

The GSA SmartPay Travel card/account must be closed when:

  • You change jobs.
  • You leave employment at the government.
  • You change agencies.

Your agency has specific procedures on closing accounts. To close or transfer your account, notify your A/OPC. The A/OPC will contact the contractor bank to close your account.


An official website of the General Services Administration

Looking for U.S. government information and services?